The project aimed to increase send offer conversion and enhance the user experience of the Insense app. Through a user-centered approach, I addressed challenges like confusing navigation, hidden features, and a noisy colour scheme.
I thoroughly examined the app's architecture, technology, and interface, working closely with stakeholders to gather valuable insights. Through user interviews and testing, I validated designs and improved navigation and user journey for better send offer conversion. The analysis of competitors provided additional insights for an enhanced user experience.
The result was a significant 12.3 pp growth in send offer conversion.
This improvement demonstrated the effectiveness of the design enhancements and the impact of prioritising user needs.
At the project's outset, we partnered with the product manager to examine the Insense app. We delved into its informational architecture, technology, and interface. We spotted problems like an antiquated tech stack, complex navigation, and poorly planned user journeys. The colour scheme also seemed too busy and distracting.
The most prominent problem users faced in the earlier version of the app was its navigation structure. It was confusing, leading to user frustration. The 'feed' tab was misleading and bundled the 'match' and 'all' tabs together, which confused users. The chat feature, an essential part of the app, was hidden deep in the offer card. This was a major area we sought to improve.
In the first step, I conducted a thorough analysis of competitor apps like Upwork and Popular Pays, with a focus on their navigation, user flows, layouts, and content. A common trend was separating available jobs into a dedicated list for browsing and applying, with a separate tab to track jobs ongoing and applied for.
I decided to make things simple and straightforward. I introduced distinct tabs like 'search', 'offers', and 'chat'. This new design replaced the old bundled, layered navigation with a clean, easy-to-understand single-layer system. Now, users could find what they needed without fuss.
With clearer, better-named tabs, we trusted it would be easier to move around in the app. Plus, the chat feature was now just a tap away, making it accessible and easy to find.
To gather user feedback, we reached out to our current users and selected five for user interviews and prototype testing. During these sessions, we asked participants to navigate the wireframes while sharing their screens. We had them perform certain tasks and posed specific questions such as "What are proposals?" or "What are pending campaigns?". This hands-on approach allowed us to test the effectiveness of our new, intuitive navigation system.
The testing confirmed that our newly proposed navigation design - with distinct tabs like "search", "offers", and "chat" - resonated well with users. They found it logical and intuitive, enabling them to effortlessly find what they needed within the app. This key finding significantly informed our final design decisions.
In response to user feedback, I embarked on designing the primary components of the app. I tackled numerous elements, including campaigns search, checking offers, offer management, filtering, handling ongoing campaigns, chatting, checking the wallet, and user profile management, among others. I continually sought team feedback as I proceeded with the app's diverse scenarios.
A critical aspect of the design process was organising information within the offer brief. This needed to encompass details about the required content (such as one vertical video, five photos, two horizontal videos, etc.), platforms (like Instagram, TikTok, etc.), work description, and reference photos. This task of information organisation and presentation was crucial to enhance user experience and ease of use.
In the whirlwind of our redesign process, dealing with team feedback was a key part of my job. Everyone from the founder, QA folks, the product manager and another designer, to the dev team, had useful insights and interesting questions. Some examples were "What to show if there are 0 campaigns?" and "Can we select a different amount than the Price Cap and still accept the offer?".
To keep everything in order, I started a Notion document to collect all the ideas, issues, and queries from the team. This document turned into a go-to place for all things feedback. Together with the product manager, we'd go through these comments and sort them out based on how doable they were, how urgent, and how much they'd improve the user experience. This approach of gathering, organising, and picking out feedback helped us keep everyone's ideas in mind and stay focused on boosting the app's experience. Even during the operational phase, I kept working with the dev team, adding new screens like onboarding and more, all based on the team's feedback.
In the final phase of the project, I created a components library in a shared design system. This helped refine the app's appearance while ensuring consistency. Through regular communication with the development team, we smoothly integrated the components. The library improved design consistency and scalability.
We launched the redesigned app with great success. In just one month, send offer conversion increased by 12.3 pp, highlighting the value of our design improvements and the positive impact of a user-centered approach.
We aimed to create an easy-to-use, attractive app that met everyone's needs. Using data and user feedback, we kept improving our product. This ongoing process of improvement was a key part of our project.